Thursday, March 25, 2010

Riding on a cable car to meet Tian Tan Buddha

Recap of March 15, 2010

Today, we are going to ride on a very vertical cable car all the way up the mountains to meet Tian Tan Buddha, also known as Big Buddha.


Big Buddha was completed in 1993 and is located at the Ngong Ping, Lantau Island, near Po Lin Monastery.

The scenery was spectacular and you can see Hong Kong in the background.
After the cable car ride, we arrived to our destination, not knowing that there are still 260+ steps up to see Big Buddha. It was a hot and humid day and my family was sweating buckets. Nathan of course was hiding from this paparazzi mama and her camera. But my girl was all smiles for this mama.


The statue is made of bronze and it's one of the major attractions in China that symbolizes the Buddhism in Hong Kong. It is 112 ft tall and weights 280 tons.


Emily: mommy, I can push you down in this cable car, want to ride it?

I caught my little emperor off guard!


After an entire day visiting Big Buddha, we had hot pot dinner with my friends Ada and Doris. It consists of a open stove with a hot pot of water in the center of the table. Then, you order all types of meats such beef, lamb, pork or chicken strips cut very lean, seafood such fish balls, shrimp, oysters, clams and cut fish, then fried tofu and all types of vegetables and you cook all these things in the hot pot. Then, on a separate table, you have about 12 to 15 different types of sauces that you can make your own concoction to dip your cooked meats and vegetables in it. It was very delicious and healthy because everything is just boiled in the hot pot, then dip with all these delicious sauces. Everything was so good and I ate so much! and it was so good to see my friends from my days when I was living in Toronto.



1 comment:

Kristi said...

Woah! That Buddah is HUGE!!! Looks like your family had fun, even if your "little emperor" wasn't cooperative with his Mamarazzi! He is adorable. Before long I'm sure sweet Emily will teach him how to work a camera.
We never got to experience a hot pot meal. Maybe next trip...