Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shaiman Island Part 1

Nathan passed the TB test with flying colors and because we are non-Hague he didn't need any vaccinations. After lunch at the Thai Restaurant Cow and Bridge on Shaiman Island, which by the way was very good, I did a little of damage to Ken's wallet. I bought some Chinese outfits for the kids and 2 more linen dresses for Emily. That girl loves dresses and she was so happy about the new shoes too. I was able to bargain and paid only half of what they started with. Besides, that was the only money I had on my purse. I told them how much I had with me and said that's all I had with me and started to walk away when he said, OK, OK I will give it to you for that but I still loose money. Woo-hoo!

Shaiman Island is preparing for the Asian Games this fall. There is a lot of construction going on and many of the shops that were here just last month are now gone. All of the street shops just across from the White Swan are gone. The noise level is amazing and we are very glad we did not stay at the White Swan. It has been difficult to push the stroller on bare dirt and mountains of broken cement just piling up on the street, hearing cling-clang non-stop and trying to find a store that it's open. Also very dusty and did I said noisy? Guangzhou is preparing for the Asian Games which is like a mini-olimpics but just for China. We also shopped at The friendship store which I love. Very good quality pillow covers, outfits for kids and souvenier gifts and the best of all, it's that 100% of the proceeds go to orphanages in China. The owner is American and she livesin Hong Kong and has 2 adopted Chinese girls.

No comments: